Friday, November 23, 2012

El-Baha

Updates:
Work here in Al Baha started with us teaching in a University. I mean really, who would've thought, that I'd be teaching university!! It's such an exciting experience. I'm quite happy with my class, their progress and everything. One thing I love the most about it, is the fact that I have office hours!! How awesome is that!! I never thought Id be proud of myself, but currently, I AM! I still can't grasp it! In addition, we are also teaching ESP (English for Specific Purposes), in our case, Medical Science students.

I mean, it's hard, but at the same time, both us and the students are all learning together! It's great and exciting! =)

What's teaching university like? Well teaching University is vastly different from teaching younger children. My students are all considered adults. However, sometimes I have to remind each and every one of them, that they're ladies; they're responsible for their own actions whether it means skipping class, not doing their homework, or not participating in class. SO far so good. They are so sweet. We just had an ESP test and of course they were all worried. But I reviewed with them so many times and helped build their confidence. It turned out to be good =).

We did shopping activities, human knot as a game, first letter game, etc. I currently have 5 students participating in a game, and 2 in an adaptation of the Shakespearean play "King Lear".

Admin and HR: they are a bit late and behind with the admin stuff. I mean it took me about 2 and a half weeks just to get a letter, giving me permission to open a bank account. It's taking them almost a month now to do a multi-entry visa. But the important thing is, it's getting done. My patience is not running thin with that fact, but with something else.. we have this rosivrepus and she's really, something. I still can't figure her out. But it's ok. So far so good. I'm loving my students. One day they told me "Teacher! You're brave for doing this! I mean, coming here, all alone, without any of your family! It's really brave of you!" and then another day, on the topic of occupations: "Teacher, I don't think I can be a teacher. I can't teach all these students and take care of them. I don't have the patience! It's too much work!" Hahahah! They made me laugh! :) Love these girls! I'm glad they look up to me. Although, they started to ask me for my facebook and such. Of course, I'm not about to give it! :)

3 comments:

  1. I had the same problems with admin here. Took the same amount of time to get residency qualifications to get a bank account. You're fighting the good fight, teaching is FUN ne! --Yuri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep fighting the good fight! It's never that easy to work with those people.

    Check out my budget travel blog soon :)

    ReplyDelete